What do you do with Empire apples picked in a beautiful Autumn, Spokane orchard? You make Apple French Toast Bake. Yum!
This recipe was taken and minimized (for smaller portions) by the MinimalistBaker.com (which is exactly how I like to bake). Thanks!
Prep Time: 20 mins, Cook Time: 45 mins
- 4 cups day old whole grain bead, cubed (note that I bought my bread the night before and it was fine)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 4 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into wedges
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 (or smaller) pan.
- Add bread cubes to the baking pan – enough to generously cover the bottom of the pan. You don’t want to see any bare spots of the pan but you also don’t want the pan overflowing.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the bread. Feel free to use your hands or a fork afterwards to push down the bread to soak up the liquid. If you have too much liquid, add more bread. If you have too little liquid, remove some bread.
- Add the apple and the 2 Tbsp butter to a large skillet on medium over the stove. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp cinnamon, stir, and cover to steam for a bit. When the apples start to get tender (about 4-5 mins) remove the cover and sprinkle with 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar. Continue cooking with the lid off until tender. Don’t let the apples get mushy though!
- Check the bread to make sure all the bread is soaking in the egg mixture. Feel free to flip over bread pieces to get full soaking effect. Then sprinkle the top of the bread with the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Next spoon 3/4 of the apples over the bread mixture and push the apples into the cracks of the bread. If there are slice of apples on top that is fine.
- Bake for 45 mins (if it needs longer you can bake up to an hour). You will know the bake is complete when the bread and apples are golden brown and smelling good. And also when you put a fork in the center and it come out pretty clean.
- Remove the bake from the oven and serve immediately! Top each slice with the remaining sauteed apples and some sort of delicious syrup. The minimalistbaker.com recommends maple. I had raspberry. And I’m sure pomegranate would be delicious as well!