I love chimichangas, but I know fried foods are not exactly healthy. The crisp outer shell makes my mouth water, so I was excited when I found this recipe which eliminates the frying element. Butter is used instead of oil, but I think it does make a difference. Every little bit counts, right? I can’t wait to try this technique on my favorite chicken flautas recipe.
- 1-1/2 lb ground turkey (or shredded chicken)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning (1.25 oz)
- 1-1/4 c water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro (opt)
- 1 can fire-roasted green chiles (7 oz)
- 1/2 c diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1/2 c low fat sour cream
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbs melted butter
- 6 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (to melt on top)
- Garnish: tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, etc.
Saute turkey until cooked through and starting to brown. Add taco seasoning and stir. Add water. Over medium-low heat cook until liquid is reduced by 2/3.
Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes, and green onions. Simmer until the rest of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 c. cheddar cheese.
Lay tortillas on wax paper and brush both sides with the melted butter. Spoon 1/6 of filling into center of tortilla and fold like an envelope.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Put tortillas, seam-side down on a non-stick sheet pan. Spaced so they do not touch. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven to melt. Serve with garnishes and salad.
About a month ago I had this Six Sister’s recipe prepared for me. It felt like home so I felt like sharing it! It looked simple (which I am all about) and decently healthy. So this if you want a picture of what this tasty chicken looks like, check out the Six Sister’s Ranch Chicken Recipe. Anyways, here the recipe goes.
1 cup corn flakes, finely crushed (you can substitute with bread crumbs, saltines, ritz, etc*)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 packet ranch dressing mix
8 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix corn flakes, cheese, and dressing mix together in a bowl until blended. Dip thawed chicken in butter, then roll in corn flake mixture. Place coated chicken in 9″x13″ greased baking pan. Bake for about 45 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
*an addition/improvisation to the six sisters recipe.
This was a big hit with the husband and only took about 20 minutes to make! Success!
Easy Broccoli Beef Stir-fry
3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb boneless round steak or charcoal chuck steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen)
1 small onion, cut into wedges
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1) In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder until smooth.
2) Add beef and toss.
3) Heat a large skillet to medium high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef is done; remove and keep warm.
4) Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining Tablespoon of oil for 4-5 minutes.
5) Return beef to pan.
6) Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan.
7) Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
8) Serve over rice.
I haven’t posted in way too long, but this week I finally tried something new! This meal was easy, took less than 30 minutes to make, and serves about 6 people. Pardon my blurry cell phone picture.
Easy Chickpea Curry
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 fl oz or 400 mL)
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon or more brown sugar
- 1 quarter lemon squeezed or more
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 bunch spinach, cleaned
- 4 green onions, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
1) Heat coconut milk in a pan until simmering. Add chickpeas, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili powder, basil. Mix everything together until even consistency.
2) Add spinach and green onions to the coconut milk mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3) In a separate pan, combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
4) Serve curry over quinoa.
Note: The curry flavor might be stronger if served over rice instead of quinoa. Also, you can make this recipe with mushrooms, but would need to increase the simmer time in step 2 to 15-20 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked all the way through.
You might have started to notice a theme in the recipes I post – SIMPLE! I like to keep things fast and easy. This may be because I am usually cooking for one, but either way I think it is great. Here is a picture of a simple and delicious one-person meal I ate today.
1 toasted and buttered wheat english muffin
1 egg – fried
grilled tomato slices
grilled avocado slices
olive oil for the pan to cook the egg*
You should probably be able to figure out the meal from that, but if not, feel free to ask and/or experiment. You cannot really mess this up.
Tired of the summer heat?
Need a treat?!
Freeze your grapes.
I wait till they start to get soft.
They make for delicious popsicle delicacies!
Salt & Pepper
Spinach and/or Spring Salad Mix
Shred 1-2 Zucchini per Chicken Breast. Cook Chicken Breast(s) on stove with olive oil and salt and pepper. After chicken is almost completely cooked add the shredded zucchini to pan to cook with it. Add diced tomatoes last of all. Meanwhile, heat up Quinoa in a different pan on the stove. Arrange spinach or spring mix on plate, put zucchini chicken on top of it and quinoa close by. *Hot sauce may be a great addition to this meal.
Costco Salmon Patties
Chopped- Up Mozzarella String Cheese
Salad Spring Mix
Cook the salmon patty on the stove fore five minutes. Meanwhile, chop, dice and mix the rest of the ingredients. Place the salmon patty on top (or dice into smaller pieces). Add salad dressing, and enjoy!
* Quick, simple, healthy, and yummy!
What a great way to eat your veggies!
Dennis’ favorite frosting has always been German Chocolate frosting, but my children have taught me the importance of going preservative-free so I found these two easy recipes, put them together, and VIOLA, perfection!
Directions: Lightly grease a 9×13 pan or bundt pan and preheat a the oven to 350 degrees. Grate 3 cups of zucchini. Add the following:
2 Cups flour, 2 Cups sugar,
3/4 Cup cocoa,
1 tsp baking powder,
2 tsps baking soda,
1/4 tsp salt,
dash of cinnamon,
1 1/2 Cup oil,
3/4 Cups chopped walnuts optional.
Mix well by hand. Bake 50-55 minutes. Toothpick will come out clean when it is cooked.
*** Very Moist***
One 12 Ounce can of evaporated milk
1 1/3 Cup white sugar
4 large egg yolks beaten with one teaspoon water
2/3 Cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp corn-starch
1 generous Cup chopped pecans
1 Cup flaked coconut
Directions: In heavy saucepan combine all but last two ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring until thick. Add pecans and coconut. Spread on cake while still warm.
Delicious. ‘Nough said.
Serendipity’s Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. hot cocoa mix
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. white chocolate chips or white chocolate bark
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, divided
- 4 1/2 c. ice
- Whipped cream, to taste
- Mini marshmallows, to taste
Combine first 3 ingredients in a double boiler that is set over gently boiling water (or just use two different sized pans and hold the smaller pan on top of the larger one). Stir until melted and a smooth mixture forms. Add semi-sweet and white chocolate chips and stir. While chips melt, slowly add 1/2 c. of evaporated milk. Stir until smooth and then cool to room temperature. Combine the chocolate mixture, the rest of the evaporated milk, and the ice in the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, etc. Makes 4 servings.