Sorry, I made these on whim when visiting the parents and forgot to take a pic! Got the recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen though, so if you need pics they have plenty. Please note that I’ve slightly altered the recipe however. This is a healthy, gluten free option.
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes or 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dired oregano
- Additional Ingredients:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 10 large basil leaves cut or 2-4 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 1/3 cup low-fat mozzarella blend or fresh mozzarella
- red pepper flakes for taste
- Cut off and remove both sides of the eggplant. Peel the eggplant (you can keep the skin on but I personally do not enjoy the tough skins). And then cut the remainder of the eggplant into 3/4 inch thick slices. Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant generously with salt and then lay on a paper towel to draw out the liquid. Let sit for 30 minutes. Half way through preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Also while the eggplant sits, make the sauce. Heat the 2-3 tsp olive oil and saute the garlic. Add the petitie diced tomatoes, dried Italian seasoning, and oregano. Cook and let simmer until thickened. If needed, add water.
- Once eggplant is dried pat water with paper towel. Spray a cooking sheet with olive oil and lay the eggplant on it. Brush the tops of the eggplants with more oilive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning on them. Roast the eggplant for approximately 25 minutes. Don’t let the eggplant become mushy or lose shape.
- While the eggplant cooks, slice the basil (if fresh) and mix parmesan and mozzarella cheese (if not fresh). When eggplant is cooked, remove from oven and turn the broiler on. Spread a few tablespoons of the sauce on top of each slice of eggplant, basil, and top generously with cheese. Put sheet back in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted (roughly 3-7 mins).
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top and serve hot.